Saturday, January 1, 2011

~ Thrift store yarn ~

Stopped by the thrift store after work Thursday and picked up a crocheted hat/scarf for $3.90.  I didn't buy it to wear - I bought it to re-claim the yarn.  The yarn feels and looks like Sayelle brand and it is the prettiest variegation of pink and soft white (the picture doesn't really show the true colors).  Both cakes of yarn each weigh 6 oz. 

I was kind of feeling a little guilty when I was frogging the hat/scarf - whoever crocheted it did a very good job - and I kept thinking that it was a shame that she put all this work into something that a loved one obviously never wore and then gave away.  I hope I never find anything I've crocheted in a thrift store.  :)
Print Friendly and PDF

9 comments:

  1. It is sad that it ended up there but now the yarn will be used again and not chucked in the bin. Can't wait to see what you make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is fine to reuse the yarn. I'm sure project will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reclaiming yarn from thrift store things is a favorite of mine too. I agree it's sad to frog nice work, but I usually use the yarn to make charity blankets so I know it's going for a good use. That's a really pretty color you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always think the exact same thing when I see crocheted things in thrift stores for next to nothing. I would die if one of my things ended up like that, but I'm sure some of them will when I'm long gone. But just think...you are giving new life to something that may have ended up at the dump. The yarn is very pretty and will make something nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful.Belated wishes for the happy and properous new year 2011

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely colour pink, Thankgoodness for thrift stores.. I love picking up a bargain of wool or cotton.. Your win here :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! At least it's better to reuse the yarn than for the scarf and hat to never get any use. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is serious up-cycling: the pink is fantastic and it's self-patterning, too. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel the same way about beautiful projects at the thrift store -- sometimes I will buy something just to give it a good home! Some would find that silly and wasteful, but I don't (fortunately the items are pretty cheap!) For instance I purchased such a nicely knitted throw in homespun yarn -- so soft and pretty and so well done. %4.00 and someone took such a long time knitting it for a loved one. It has a good home on my couch to cozy up in when I'm reading. Enjoy your blog -- lots of good ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message - it always puts a smile on my face. If you have a question - post it here and check back - I will always answer you. :)