Sunday, May 29, 2011

~ I've made a candle ~

I bought this oversized mug from the thrift store for .90 cents along with a large candle for .60 cents.  The candle had nicks and dings in it - not very pretty.  So I placed the candle in the mug and then placed the mug in a large pot with some water.  I also put a toothpick under 1 side of the mug so it wouldn't bounce around.  I turned the burner on #4 setting (on my stove #6 setting is medium, so a little before medium) and waited for the candle to melt.  When it was almost done melting, I took the mug out of the water and let it set up a little.  The wick is still in the little clump not melted - I moved that to the middle.  I then took one of my spoons and whipped up the wax to make a choppy surface.  Ta dah - a 'new' candle.  :)
Print Friendly and PDF

7 comments:

  1. Very nice, its a beauty and so economical. I'll be sure to be on the lookout now for candles and mugs. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute, Debi! You are so crafty! :) Guess what?! I actually got to make some of your flower coasters this weekend. :D Will do a blog post sometime after I get back home. Am puppy sitting for my dd's family while they are camping this weekend. Thus the "me time" to have some crochet fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Love your new blog header! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a very creative lady Debi, Your new header is great also :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies. Can't wait to see your coasters Rita. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the new header too and the candle is very trendy! I bet you could make all sorts of latte looking candles and even cocoas with clumpy marshmallow bits for appreciation gifts... the stirring gives the candle a nice frothy look! Very nice as always! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message - it always puts a smile on my face. If you have a question - post it here and check back - I will always answer you. :)