Thursday, March 1, 2012

~ my WIP's and other stuff ~


I know - I'm a day late and a dollar short.  I joined in at 'Simply Crochet and Other Crafts' yesterday and then forgot to post here.  The granny square is the beginning of a baby blankie.  Remember 'Le monde de Sucrettes' giant granny along a little while ago?  I had fun with that so I decided to crochet another.  Notice my white with black spots crochet hook?  That was the very first crochet hook handle that I made - it matches my dog Tex - and it also matches the cows in my kitchen.  :) 

The other project is my 'squircle v-3' pattern worked into another baby blankie.

**Tip:  taking a picture of your WIP with the crochet hook helps when you go back to work on it.    

~~~~~


This is the side of my back yard.  When we bought our house in 1985 all those houses were not there (there's more down the way) - so we have had a privacy problem since.  If I sit on the patio, everybody and their brother looks at me as they go by.  I wave at them but more than half don't wave back.  (How rude.)  I know it's really not a big deal but it does bother me.  Vince and I can't seem to figure out what to do - we've talked about bamboo, but that is a very invasive plant that will take over the whole yard so we don't want that.  We've talked about adding lattice around the patio but that will just cut off the yard.  I'm thinking a 6 ft. tall wood fence will do the trick but I'm not sure the City of Bowie will let us do that.  Do any of ya'll have any ideas?

~~~~~


This Sunday evening is the 6th season premier of 'Army Wives'.  The preview is pretty cool looking - the wives are walking through a storm and one of them "will not weather the storm".  I thinks it's Kim Delaney's character Claudia Joy.  Kim Delaney seems to have a drinking problem in real life, so she needs to take care of that.  What a shame - I remember her when she was on the soap opera 'All my Children' a long, long time ago.  Well anyways - that's where I'll be on Sunday evening.

~~~~~

Thanks for dropping by and have a great crochet day.  :)        
Print Friendly and PDF

19 comments:

  1. Hmm..I am thinking that if your town has a problem with privacy fencing so close to the road..maybe you could do an L shape privacy fence just around your patio? I hate feelng like everyone can see what I am doing when I am in my yard..and you know they look, cause we look too. Maybe some variety of wild grass that grows high..they take alot of water the first year, but they are prettier than a fence..Good luck with that. Your blankets look wonderful as always. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your WIPs, especially the squircles :)

    Oh yes, I see the problem with your backyard! What about a hedge? Maybe boxwood? A villager in k-town built a house a few years ago and also built a 3 meter high solid wall around the whole property. That's just a touch too much I think, somehow it looks hostile. Heaven knows what they're hiding in there... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debi we had neighbor privacy issues at one point and we planted a variety of cypress trees along with Morning Glories on trellis and it worked wonderfully as it created beauty for us to enjoy while keeping "prying" eyes at bay!

    Thanks for sharing about Army Wives coming back too! It's the only show I ever watch on Lifetime anymore so I didn't already know that it was time for it to come back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about if you plant shrubs or some kind of bushy stuff outside of your fence (or inside if the city won't let you do outside)? We have here a shrub that can grow into a tree if you let it go...red tips. It's great as a barrier between houses or houses and roads. Good tip on wips...I'll have to remember that. Thanks! And the granny....I've been thinking about doing one again. I've only done one and it got so big that I didn't want to do it anymore and ended up adding granny blocks to both ends of it. Maybe...... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fences every time Debi, just need painting now and then. No trouble We have high 6ft ones out the back garden.They give us so much more privacy.
    Thanks for your comments on the Wiggles Squares. I was hoping you would see them.
    Love to you Suex

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like what you working on, and I love the idea of using a cup to hold your yarn, how fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Firstly the squares are as always lovely, I like your choice of colours :)) Very cute with the cup and yarn ..
    I hate being "on show" to everyone in my yard, we have hedges and large bushes, they look great but can be a lot of work... If possible a 6'foot fence would be the answer ..
    have a great day :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are types of bamboo that don't become invasive - clumping bamboo, I think is what we refer to them as in Australia. However I know nothing else about how to take care of them :)

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Debie, I always like your granny squares. When I decided to make my own blog, Your blog was my first one to show what I should do. I found your blog first from the web. And I must say that I learned so many things about crochet and granny squares. Thank you for your friendship. Also your home place is so nice to live. I am always thinking that you are living in peace and satisfaction with your family. I wish you more happy days forever...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - I wish you happy days too. :)

      Delete
  10. Thanks for all your nice comments and for the suggestions ladies. I'm leaning towards a nice, tall, white fence - I've got my fingers crossed that the City will let us install it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. those squares look delicious! I still haven't finished my giant granny! Love the crochet hook, are they hard to make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. The hook handles are easy to make. Over on the right sidebar is a picture of a crochet hook - click on that and it will take you to the post where I explain how to make one. Have fun. :)

      Delete
  12. Thanks so much for your kind comment on my blog and for the squircles pattern. I've really enjoyed making the squares. Love your crochet hook, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. As always Debi it is a joy to come visit your blog and see what new WIP you have going on. I can understand completely about wanting privacy and yet wanting to be able to not feel confined. We own a little over an acre and put 6 foot chain link all around the back (one foot inside the property line), and then someone moved a trailer in on the property next to us and they had a full view of out back yard. We ended up putting a flat plank privacy fence up close around our double deck. There is plenty of room for flower gardening and if I bend over to pull a weed while in a pair of shorts no one is looking at my rear end.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Squircles?? I Love them. I'm going to have to make a blanket from those. I'm going to have to watch that Army Wives show. I'm always looking for something good on TV to watch while I crochet. Take care!
    Hugs-Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I decided to start a giant granny too! Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the idea of bamboo to screen your garden, why not put it in large planters so it can grow to invasive proportions? Bamboo sounds so lovely when the wind swishes through it!
    Also I love the colours of your giant granny square, so fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw THE neatest idea for a "privacy" fence once. You use metal poles, lik eused oin farms for fencing. Run a cable across the top and hang "party store grass skirts" to the cable. It gives you privacy, yet it isn't invasive . . and, when the wind blows, it blowed too. It really looked cool.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message - it always puts a smile on my face. If you have a question - post it here and check back - I will always answer you. :)