Wednesday, April 11, 2012

~ NCIS, a granny square & a thread holder ~


I am so sad/mad - they are totally screwing up my NCIS.  The story format is changing to all kinds of conspiracy crap - government conspiracy, terrorist conspiracy, drug cartel conspiracy.  I like the way it used to be - a regular (military) person gets off'd by a regular killer.  Gibbs, Tony, Ziva and McGee then go and find the guy with alot of bantering back and forth and with a little bit of humor thrown in.


They've also brought in a girlfriend for the Gibbs character that's being played by Jamie Lee Curtis.  It totally grosses me out when they kiss - they look like twin brother and sister - and we all know that that just ain't right.  Whoever was in charge of casting that part seriously screwed up.

Please NCIS people - put my show back the way it was.

~~~~~~~~~~~

    
Yesterday I received this granny square from Stephanie of 'Simply Crochet and Other Crafts'.  It came packaged in this cute little zippered pouch - I think I will use it in my carry around crochet bag to hold all the little what-nots.  Thank you very much Stephanie.  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~


This is the thread holder that Vince and I crafted.  It took us less than half an hour to make it - and that includes the drying time for the paint wash.  After I took this picture, I ended up gluing a rose button to the long point section - it just looked too bare.

This is what we did:

- went out to the shed to look around for a piece of wood.  I was thinking a block of wood, but I saw a stack of these and figured it would work just as well.  (And I just have to say that moving around in Vince's shed was not an easy thing to do - he has his motorcycle and the golfcart in there, and lots of stuff around on the floor.)

- Vince drilled a pilot hole for the large nail.

- I painted the wood with a paint wash and let it dry.

- I cut out a piece of plastic canvas for a liner to keep the threads protected while it turns.

- I cleaned a 7" long nail (bought at Lowe's a while back) and then hammered it into the wood about an inch deep.  (I used a regular household cleaner to clean the nail, but I'm thinking that I should of soaked it in vinegar to make it shiney)

And there you have it - a really quick & easy thread holder.

Thanks for stopping by - have a great day.  :)
Print Friendly and PDF

23 comments:

  1. I'm trying to figure out a CHEAP way to wind a skein of yarn into an easy to pull out ball. I'm working on this huge 'ghan and it's annoying trying to crochet this thing, stopping every minute to unwind a skein of yarn that has no middle pull! any ideas? I don't watch NCIS but ya, they do look like brother/sister twins. I like your thread holder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Niki - I found a video on Youtube that explains how to wind the yarn:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LglqfKZIuZ4

      and here is a blog about it:

      http://www.crochetspot.com/winding-yarn-into-a-center-pull-skein/

      Delete
  2. Oh Debi, I totally agree I watch the old reruns. I dont like the new episodes.. I wonder if we could write to the show and tell them..Jamie Lee Curtis although attractive does not go with Gibbs! AT ALL They dont even have any chemistry going on that anyone would believe. Very sad and Very Sad SVU got rid of Stabler. Ruining good shows. Love your thread holder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neicee. :)

      I used to sit glued to the TV when NCIS was on - now I find myself getting up and doing things when there's not even a commercial on. I guess I'll just have to watch the dvd's of previous seasons to keep myself happy.

      Delete
  3. I love that thread holder! I might have to ask hubby to make me something like that. =) Brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know...
    I never saw it before, but they do resemble each other. Ewww! I don't watch too much TV, so haven't heard of this series.

    Oh by the way I love your thread holder and the granny square, creative and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree about NCIS. I am not a fan of Ms. Curtis so when I saw that I just walked over and turned it off. I miss the old format too.

    Cool yarn holder, Debi. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always used to like Jenny in NCIS - I'm not really a fan of the new Director - he just doesn't seem to click for me. We're behind in the UK with the series so we're not up to date with the Jamie Lee Curtis stuff just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a good idea for a thread holder Debi, I might copy you, will have to have a rummage in my shed and see if I have anything suitable.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. For some reason didn't see the "reason" behind why I have time to watch re-runs of NCIS but am too busy to watch the current season NCIS. Ha! Do enjoy your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debi, you made me chuckle about the NCIS boyfriend/girlfriend. Used to watch but not any more, they lost me too. Your thread holder is super!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the mental image about Jamie Lee and Mr Handsome! I never even thought about it like that. I'm usually trying to sleep with the tv on when it comes on. I only watch it if I'm off and don't have to work the next day.

    Oddly enough I have been thinking on how to do something like you did with the yarn, twine holder. Just haven't gotten my lazy butt up to do it. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant idea on the thread holder... I may be making one of those for myself soon! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to scroll down and comment on your "twin brother and sister" comment. That is EXACTLY what I said to my hubby last week. I figured that somewhere, down the road, they would find out they were related . . should have left the kissing out . . that's how Brice Willis and Cybil Shepherd xcrewed up Moonlighting . . well, the writers did it, they just played their parts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never really watched it..It is funny though..You usually aren't so vocal when you don't like something..Nice to see you have a rant..Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  14. You and I must be on the same wave length when it comes to NCIS. For a long time I just skimmed over that show, I am sorry to say one of my favorite was always the real stuff like Forensic Files....My fascination was always how the bad guys screwed up and got caught, and I liked them to pay their dues although there is no way to pay for a murder and a families grief. Anyways, Jamie Lee was a very poor choice of girlfriend for Jethro. She is too boyish and I picture him with someone with soft curls and more feminine. I guess I just keep seeing her in my mind doing the Activia commercial.
    The writing staff musta had an off day, LOL
    Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the compliments on the thread holder ladies. :)

    As for NCIS - I just hope it all gets straightened out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I am with you, who casted Jamie Lee Curtis for that part????? The whole show is going haywire????I want the old format back too...I loke the wood piece, cute and a great idea to save time trying to not tangle the yarn or have it fall on the floor and I like that it is pink. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm an NCIS fan too. (Maybe a Michael Weatherly fan?) I watch the day time reruns, have seen many more than once. It makes sense for Gibbs to have a love interest, but JLC does not fit the bill!! I read an interview in which she said she hopes that her role could be recurring rather than the four show deal she now has. I've never been a fan of hers for several reasons, however the chemistry is just not there with Gibbs. I agree it is EWWWWW! time when they are together. I'm trying to think of someone to be the woman in Gibbs' life, but have to think more about it.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a cool thread holder. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with you about NCIS. Everytime I see Jamie Lee Curtis with Gibbs I expect her to hand him some yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with you about NCIS too. While watching the latest recorded episode last night with my husband, I happened to mention your blogged comments and he agreed, too. We also thought your "twins" comment was spot on. Now I will also have Candice's previous comments about the yogurt in mind when next I watch NCIS.

    I never heard of "Divine Twine" but I like the look of it.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message - it always puts a smile on my face. If you have a question - post it here and check back - I will always answer you. :)