Saturday, June 16, 2012

~ date to Annapolis ~

Richie picked up the boys early yesterday, so Vince and I decided to go on a 'date'.  We decided on dinner and then on to the Annapolis harbor to see the 'Bounty' ship that was docked there.  We have passed by this Double T Diner so many times and have never stopped, but this time we did. 



We walked in the door and the first thing I saw was the dessert display - good Lord, I thought I was gonna die - cheesecakes galore and all kinds of other fancy looking desserts.  We were shown to our table before I drooled over the display too much.  At the table was one of those small jukeboxes - we decided not to play any songs because there was a TV playing just a little over my head and we wanted to hear each other talk. 


I ordered the baby fried shrimp and Vince had the blackened fried chicken breast.  The portions were so large that we both ended up having to bring half of our dinners home with us.  Normally Vince eats all of his dinner and then helps me eat mine.  The food was nice and tasty, but kind of expensive - and frankly, the waitress really wasn't all that good - she was only nice to us when she brought us the check.  I'm not sure that we'll go there again.

Back out on the road again - we saw this sign while waiting for a red light.  I thought it was funny.  (Look at the 2nd sign.)

 
We parked the SUV in a parking garage and walked a couple blocks to the harbor.  It was such a pretty day out - low 80's with a breeze.  Lot's of people around, but not too crowded.  This is what we came to see - the 'Bounty' ship:


We had to stand back a good distance just to get it all in the picture.  I also took pictures of the signs giving the information about it - I knew I wouldn't be able to remember it all.



We had wanted to take the tour of the ship, but we got there too late.  A little side note:  I'm afraid of the water, so on the drive to get here I told Vince that if there was any sign that the ship was going to sink and that we were going to drown, he had to strangle me first.  He quickly responded with 'Well, ok - I might enjoy that'.  He's so funny.  :)

After looking at the ship for a little while we walked around and ended up at a side entrance to the US Naval Academy.  We walked through to see what we could see, but nothing was going on.  Kind of disappointing.


We left the Academy and started walking along the shops around the harbor.  We only looked through the windows - we didn't buy anything.  I can only imagine how expensive everything would be.  

Now let's go back in time a little - 33 years ago when I was 17 and we were first dating, we were walking along these same shops when Vince reached over a fence and picked a rose for me.  Here is that same rose bush today.  Hard to believe that it's still there. 


The owner of this property has got to be the longest hold-out I've ever heard of.  It's pretty strange to be walking along a row of shops and then bam - a pretty fenced in yard - and then back to the shops.  So it goes - shop, shop, shop, shop, shop, yard, shop, shop, shop, shop, shop.  Strange.

We had a great evening - we'll have to do it again sometime.  :)       







Print Friendly and PDF

16 comments:

  1. It sounds lovely :-) Thank you for sharing your pictures.
    Blessings,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great day, nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this interesting post. It's so cool that the same rose bush is still there!

    Loulou

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you dear Debi, You seems so pretty and happy.. Best wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debi - This is great and your pictures are awesome! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like a lovely evening. I love going on dates:) awesome pics...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful....nice time and nice pictures.My mind was flying in there too.,You are looking so gorgeous .....good for you ....we need to spend a little more good times like that.......working , working,working :( ....sometimes is kind of "tiring ".
    have a nice Sunday !

    ReplyDelete
  8. And here I only thought things like that happen to us...referring to your missing the tour time of course. I'm afraid of water too, also heights. So sweet that the rose bush was still there and I hope he picked you another. My husband and I met when I worked as a waitress back when I was 18 years old. The restaurant had put in a new concrete slab where the awning was over the front door. We put our names in a heart in the wet cement. I was so sad when the owner, who is still a friend, told me that after all those years they had to replace the concrete. I asked her about the heart and no, she didn't save it, it went to the dump I guess. I would have loved to have had it for my flower garden. Oh well, I still have the memory and my guy. I am glad you have your memory of the flower and you still have your guy. Some matches are truly made in heaven and just meant to be.
    Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice to do something different. It's a shame when diner food is expensive. Nice to see that the homeowner is still there, despite being amongst all those shops. Have a lovely day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Debi,

    ohhhh how romantic your day was ... the same rose bush is still in place ... wonderful!
    Thank you for these beautiful pictures ... you look so happy.
    I wish you from my heart a sunny Sunday and have fun

    Send you many greetings,
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hola Alyna. Gracias por compartir un día tan bonito¡¡¡
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would LOVE to live in that house. That's awesome that the owner(s) held out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks like a really fun day! Annapolis is on my bucket list before we leave the area. Love the story about the rose too - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun Date day, I had to double check that you weren't in Big bEar, CA as there is a ship something like that one up there...~~Debb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message - it always puts a smile on my face. If you have a question - post it here and check back - I will always answer you. :)