Friday, August 3, 2012

~ a baby cocoon and a hook ~


I crocheted this little baby cocoon for my nephew's baby that will be here around the beginning of November.  They say it's going to be a boy, but we (my sister Laura and I) are still hoping for a girl. 

For this cocoon, I used Bernat Pipsqueak 'sittin pretty' and an 'L' hook.  Since the yarn is bulky it didn't take too much time to crochet it, but it was a little tricky since it's a novelty yarn with lot's of little strings on it.  Another thing about the yarn - it stinks.  It has some kind of chemical smell to it.  The whole time I crocheted with it, it bothered me.  I almost threw it away a couple of times, but I figured that a run through the wash machine would get the stink out, and I was right.  After about an hour and a half in the dryer, it was ready to go in a gift bag to await the new baby's arrival.  I hope the new parents will like it.  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I made myself another crochet hook handle.  This one is a size D which I indented into the top before baking because the size is not imprinted on the thumb rest like it usually is. 

I used Sculpey pink pearl and then blended in Fimo glitter red.  I should of used less of the red because it quickly took over the pink colorIt's ok though - I still like it.  :)
Print Friendly and PDF

22 comments:

  1. I really like the cocoon...my first grand baby is due February 18th this would be so cute...great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christy - and congrats to you! :)

      Delete
  2. Love the cocoon! The handle looks very similar to one of mine. One day, I will make some with a bead on it. Such a nice addition that I never thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Debi, You are extraordinary Talented woman.. You made your own hook.. That is so good..:)) And I like the cocoon so much.. The colors are so soft for a baby boy or girl..:))
    This is my first time that I saw a cocoon for a baby. This is a very good idea.. I learned this now.. So clever..:))
    I like it..
    Best warm wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I have used this yarn and it is hard to find your stitches! I don't remember if mine had a 'stink' or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I have been wanting to make one of those....What a cute little cocoon! I have been on a baby kick lately so I might just have to make one of those also! Thanks for the idea.
    Shari ")

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work on the baby cocoon. Good that you washed the smell out of it. Wonder why it smelled that way? I really have to try doing one of my hooks once to see if I like it with the built up handle. I am so use to using them the way they are when you buy them that I wonder if I could stand making a change. Guess I won't know unless I try.
    Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute cocoon Debi, the yarn is very pretty, but it does look like the type of yarn where you can lose your stitches in the fluffiness. Your new crochet hook is cool, I like the swirls and how you put the hook size in the clay; great idea. Have a great weekend. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute cocoon, and I love your pretty new hook, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Debi,

    I love your cocoon its so cute and I bet its so soft too. Wow making handles for your hooks is like easy peasy for ya. I Love the colors you chose. Have a great weekend hun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no babies to crochet/knit for...I'm just gonna have to work on changing that..I like more red and the pink as an accent for the handle..it looks comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I'm new to your blog. i found you through Uta's Paper wool and Yarn. I love this baby cocoon. What a lucky baby to be all snuggly and cosy inside! I took up crochet last year and I'm looking forward to seeing you future posts. I also love patchwork and have recently taken up knitting again. If you get a minute between stitches, please pop by my blog - I'd love to see you there :) Maggie xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job on the cocoon. I like your hook too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the cocoon and the your lovely hook! Have a wonderful weekend.
    Eileen :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all your lovely comments ladies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the colors of the cocoon! I hope you get a girl, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a question for you :)
    Are your crochet hook handles...sticky? I made myself one and it is. Not real familiar with clay and all....maybe I cooked it too long? Maybe I should have sprayed it or not...think I might have put a coat of something on it to "seal" it...anyway...any tips?! :) Thanks!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela. No, my hooks aren't sticky. When I first started making them about 10 years ago, I applied a sealer to them. They did get sticky then and I ended up peeling the sealer off. I have kept them plain since. If you apply hand lotion - give it a little time before crocheting. I really can't think of any other reason why your hook is sticky - sorry I can't help you more.

      I bake my hooks for about 15 minutes in a 275 degree oven. Always have your exhaust fan on. :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message - it always puts a smile on my face. If you have a question - post it here and check back - I will always answer you. :)