Tuesday, June 4, 2013

~ candlelight garden ~


On the schedule today was laundry, a quick trip to CVS and a little bit of gardening.  Last Saturday, Vince and I went to Lowes to get some petunias to plant outside in some of our gardens, and I also bought a large cactus and a weird wavy plant.  Both plants were marked down to 50 cents each - can't beat that with a stick - so I had to get them.  The wavy plant had a tag in it that says it's a 'Kalanchoe' - I'm not sure about that because the plant on the tag does not look like the plant I have.  Oh well - it doesn't matter - I like it anyway.  

The very large coffee mug planter (7" tall - 10" diameter) was bought at the thrift store quite a while back.  Just like the other one I had bought before - it was either $2.90 or $4.90 - can't remember which.  I planted the 2 new plants, went outside to get a 'hens and chicks' cutting from the large plant I have on the patio, and planted that one too.  Also got some rocks from our collection to place around the plants.  Stood back and looked at it and thought that it needed something else.  I don't have any other fairy stuff to use so I had to wrack my brain a little (you know - sometimes that hurts) and came up with the candle idea.  The 'candle holder' is actually a glass insulator that my Vince collects.  He has tons of them, so I know he won't mind me using this one.  I turned it upside down, pushed it into the dirt and added a small tea light candle.  I'm really happy with this garden - I think it's cute.  :)

This is a glass insulator:

 
  http://www.hemingray.info/

size comparison to a regular coffee mug:

  
Print Friendly and PDF

16 comments:

  1. What a great little garden, Debi. The insulator is priceless! I must go root around in the NVO's things now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debi!!! I looooove your large coffee pot planter!
    Kisses from Catalonia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!! I'm definitely inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always come up with great ideas Debi :)) love the glass insulator, :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice garden!! I like those huge cups :) I too have got seeds and planning to create a little nice space in my balcony. I am not good at gardening as such.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! If in fact it is a kalanchoe, it should eventually get some flowers on it! Those are popular here in the Southwest. I am thinking about making myself a succulent garden similar to this, only in a bigger container. Love the addition of the light :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy - I'll keep watch for flowers. :)

      Delete
  7. That cup and saucer was a fabulous pick up from the thrift store. Perfect for your pretty little cactus garden. xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks pretty Debi, I used too put little plants in cups and glasses when I was young(er). Maybe I should restart doing that, thanks for the inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your garden Debi. Now I know even though I live in an apt I too can have a garden thanks to you:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this little garden idea! I think I will make one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic idea. Reminds me of when we were young making gardens like this.
    Thanks for your comments Debi.
    Love Suex

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE THE GARDEN IDEA = EVEN HAVE A CUP LIKE THAT I BOUGHT AT A YARD SALE FOR A $.25 = IT GETS TOO HOT IN THE MICROWAVE = SO IT WILL BE PERFECT FOR THIS PROJECT = WILL MAKE IT FOR MY 11 YEAR OLD G'SON WHO ALSO LOVES CACTUS ~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Debi :) I made one!! And I have it up on the blog today if you want to come take a peek :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message - it always puts a smile on my face. If you have a question - post it here and check back - I will always answer you. :)