Sunday, June 12, 2011

~ sunglasses case ~


Erica asked me to crochet her a sunglasses case and this is what I came up with.

Materials:
- a little more than 1 oz. 4-ply ww acrylic
- J hook

Size:  4" x 7"

Notes:
- I crochet tight so you may want to adjust the size of your crochet hook
- The 1st Rnd is the only Rnd that is joined.  Do not join at the end of Rnds 2 through 22, use a stitch marker to mark your 1st st.

Directions:

Rnd 1:  Ch 12, 3 sc in 2nd ch from hook.  Sc in next 9 chs, 3 sc in last ch.  Now working on the opposite side of the ch, sc in same 9 chs, join with a sl st to 1st sc.  (you have just crocheted an oval shape)

Rnd 2:  Ch 1, (sc, dc) in same sc as joining.  (sc, dc) in next 2 sc.  {skip next sc, (sc, dc) in next sc} 4 times.  Skip next sc, (sc, dc) in next 3 sc.  {skip next sc, (sc, dc) in next sc} 4 times.

Rnds 3 - 22:  (sc, dc) in each sc around.  At end of Rnd 22 join with a sl st to 1st sc, end off.

Add a chain loop to the back and a button to the front if desired.



***Debi Y's version***
Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

  1. Hello, Debi!
    I love the thickness and design of this glasses case. A very strong and nice protection.
    And the best wishes with your new constant care for your two grandchildren!
    :-) dear greetings, Lia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am unable to follow the directions to make this case. specifically, in round one do I go to the bottom of the chains for the sc in same 9 chains?
    also, when I join in the first round, am I making a small round circle that's only an inch big or what am I joining to what? Finally, when you write (skip next sc, (sc, dc) in next sc 4 times, does that mean 4 times in the same stich or in the next sequence? please elaborate on this pattern. it is really beautiful and I am a beginner. thanks, sandy. shulamwiesel@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandy - I'm sorry you are having problems with this pattern.

    For your 1st question - yes, work on the opposite side of the original chains. Join your last sc with a sl st to the 1st sc. You will have have a strip of single crochets.

    This pattern is worked around and around - not side to side. Please read my note about marking your 1st stitch. You can use a stitch marker or a safety pin to do that.

    For your 2nd question - you will work {skip next sc, (sc,dc) in next sc} 4 times consecutively. Like this:

    Rnd 2: Ch 1, (sc,dc) in same sc as joining.(sc,dc) in next 2 sc.
    skip next sc, (sc,dc) in next sc
    skip next sc, (sc,dc) in next sc
    skip next sc, (sc,dc) in next sc
    skip next sc, (sc,dc) in next sc
    Skip next sc, (sc,dc) in next 3 sc.
    skip next sc, (sc,dc) in next sc
    skip next sc, (sc,dc) in next sc
    skip next sc, (sc,dc) in next sc
    skip next sc, (sc,dc) in next sc

    For Rnds 3 thru 22 - (sc,dc) in each sc around - you will not crochet into the dc stitches.

    If you have any other questions - just let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I wanted to thank you for sharing this pattern. I had looked all over for a sunglasses case pattern and I like yours the best! I've shared the case I made and a link to your pattern on my blog today....http://growcreative.blogspot.com/2013/03/crochet-sunglasses-case.html.

    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message - it always puts a smile on my face. If you have a question - post it here and check back - I will always answer you. :)