Saturday, January 8, 2011

~ a cupcake ~





My daughter's friend is having a cupcake themed birthday party for her daughter.  I was asked to crochet 6 cupcakes.  Here are a few of them:

Materials:

- 4-ply ww acrylic yarn = cake color and frosting color
- I hook
- small red pom-pom
- various small beads
- fiberfill

Note:  Ch 2 does not count as a st.

Directions:

- for bottom:

Rnd 1:  With cake color, ch 3, 12 dc in 3rd ch from hook.  Join with a sl st to 1st dc.  (12 dc)

Rnd 2:  Ch 1, 2 sc in each dc around.  Join with a sl st to back loop of 1st dc.  (24 sc)

Rnd 3:  Working this Rnd in back loops only, ch 2, hdc in same st, hdc in each sc around.  Join with a sl st to 1st hdc.

Rnds 4 - 7:  Ch 2, hdc in each hdc around.  Join as before.  At end of Rnd 7, end off.

- for top:

Rnd 1:  With frosting color, ch 3, 12 dc in 3rd ch from hook.  Join with a sl st to 1st dc.  (12 dc)

Rnd 2:  Ch 2, 2 hdc in same st.  2 hdc in each dc around.  Join with a sl st to 1st hdc.  (24 hdc)

Rnds 3 - 5:  Ch 2, hdc in each hdc around.  Join as before.

==Ok - now comes the tricky part==

Rnd 6:  Holding cake piece and frosting piece together and matching sts, ch 1, sc 1st hdc of the frosting and the 1st hdc of the cake pieces together.  Continue matching sts and sc together around stuffing with fiberfill before closing.  Join with a sl st to 1st sc.



Rnd 7:  Ch 1, sc in same st, 2 hdc in next sc.  *Sc in next sc, 2 hdc in next sc.  Repeat from * around.  Join with a sl st to 1st sc.  End off.

Glue red pom-pom to top.

Glue various small beads all around top.

***Debi Y's version***
Print Friendly and PDF

20 comments:

  1. I love them! Cupcakes rule :-)
    See my blog aswell www.josebianca.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so cute! What a great idea for a birthday party. I'm going to have to try and make a few for my son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! For my granddaughter's 1st BD last July, I crocheted a dozen or so cupcakes for decorations. I used beads for the "sprinkles". I like your idea of a cherry on top! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet! ...hehehe, pun totally intended!
    They turned out great! Thanks for sharing the pattern with us. :o)

    Hugs,
    ♥Anita
    http://aseknc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute Debi, I love them! I like the little cherry on top. Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are the best kind of cupcakes for me - I don't get to eat them all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're wonderful ... I love cupcakes and these are no exception. Thank you for another generous share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are perfect Mom! I can't wait until Rory's party. Thanks again. You're the best! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are totally edible! Love the sprinkles, in particular. Happy birthday to the little lady :)
    I also received crafted cupcakes for my last birthday. They totally blew me away so I had to put up a post about them.
    http://www.merrymakes.blogspot.com/2010/10/receiving-better-than-giving.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning - I just discovered your blog site, and am really pleased to see your projects. This cupcake is on my list for next, and I will be giving them as gifts as pin cushions. Thanks so much for the idea.

    Cassie-b

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so adorable...for some reason I thought I had commented already, but I guess I was dreaming. Thanks for the pattern. It's very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Debi One word Beautiful!
    hugs Suex

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tami P. said..
    Beautiful! My little girl just loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll try to make..it is so cute

    Avie...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute pattern! Made one for my best friend's birthday and she loved it! It was very special since this is the 1st birthday we could not share together... Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would like to use this pattern but I am not sure if it is in UK or US terminology for crochet. Please advise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. I live in the States, so US terminology is used. :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message - it always puts a smile on my face. If you have a question - post it here and check back - I will always answer you. :)