Thursday, February 10, 2011

~ crochet hooks re-post ~

Hi Nicole - this re-post is for you.  :)



I made my first crochet hook handle in 2002 - I needed more substance to hold in my hand - I was having a problem with having to stop crocheting and stretch out my fingers every once in a while. I thought of tape but I didn't think that that would feel comfortable or look very nice. My next thought was polymer clay. I had a small stash of it leftover from trying to make beads, so I tried it and it worked great.

This is how I create my crochet hook handles:

Step 1: knead the polymer clay to make it more pliable. (by the way, I use Sculpey and Fimo polymer clays)

Step 2: wrap the polymer clay around your crochet hook handle and shape it to your preference. I roll the handle on my dining room table to help smooth it out.

-- if you plan on adding a glass bead to the top, do that now.  Use a head pin (found in the jewelry section in the craft store) to help secure the bead.  You will have to cut the head pin about 1/8" from the bead.

Step 3: bake in a toaster oven at 275* for 15 minutes per 1/4" thickness.

Once you get the gist of creating these handles, you can let your imagination go. My favorite style is swirling 2 or 3 colors together with a glass bead on top. I think they're pretty and they really help out my crocheting hand. :)

***Edited to add a couple of tips:

1.  use only metal crochet hooks.  I tried a plastic hook once and it drooped down.

2.  lay the polymer clay hook on a soft bed of quilt batting.

3.  fashion a little tent out of aluminum foil to cover the hook and quilt batting while baking.

** this post has pictures ** http://hooksandyarns.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-crochet-hooks.html

Print Friendly and PDF

22 comments:

  1. I may have to give that a go. i've just managed to bend my really thin plastic 2mm hook - totally looks like a dogs hind leg - I guess extra support around it might stop this somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple project that looks really lovely. I haven't played around with too many different types of crochet hooks (or handles) yet but I've definitely bookmarked this as an option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your crochet hooks are really pretty and a wonderful idea! Hope you are having a great day Debi. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to give this a try since my hands have a little trouble from time to time...but I just cannot give up my crocheting!! Do you sell you creations anywhere? I bet these hooks with handles would sell well, they're so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb, thank you for these instructions. These hooks are absolutely beautiful. I would love to try this, will let you knowwhen I do. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea and it's so pretty, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing. That is a really good idea! I have spent the money to get crochet hooks with wooden and rubber handles but yours are even thicker than those.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks ladies. :)

    Hi Michele - I used to sell my hooks on Ebay but I did not do well at all. It just wasn't worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea. I've been doing a bit more crocheting lately and I noticed that if I was using hooks other than my bamboo handled ones that I seem to "poke" myself with them especially the smaller gauge hooks. Sounds crazy, but the rounded ends are more comfortable and that is doable with the polymer handles. I just might try that although I've never used it before. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ms. Debi...you came through again! I didn't think I was crazy! lol..I can't thank you enough! I can't stand the bamboo handled ones, these look so much better..can't wait to try it. I'll be sure to let you know when I do. Thank you ever so much, have a wonderful weekend! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're welcome Sharon Marie. :)

    You're welcome Nicole - have fun creating them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will definitely have to try that! I'm still using the old steel hooks #7-#14 with my thread crochet and the hands definitely get stiff after a while.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for this. I'm going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi - read you on Ravelry! I got my hubby to drill out some small wooden beads to fix on the end of my bog standard metal hooks as I found the flat end got quite uncomfortable when hooking for an evening. The round end makes such a difference. I've tried the Clover japanese hooks but find I have to keep stretching out my hand - I think the're made a little short or unbalanced. Your idea looks great and so pretty! Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have you tried this with bamboo hooks? The ends of them really rough up the flesh between my thumb and first finger and I'm hoping I can use the clay to cover the end. Your thoughts/suggestions would be great! =D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks ladies. :)

    Isadora - I have not tried bamboo hooks. I'm not sure if there would be a problem putting them in the oven or not - maybe the heat will dry out the wood - I don't know. If you try it, please let me know how it goes.

    This post gives a little more info on making the hook handles:

    http://hooksandyarns.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-crochet-hooks.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have to give this a go - having problems with a 'crochet' elbow - ergonomic hooks seem to help, but I don't have enough of them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. thank you for this. I have arthritis badly, in the back, and afraid that it will effect my hands soon enough..........going to have this done to all my hooks so that I will not have to stop crocheting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is "great" and a must try for me.I have really bad arthritis in my hands and was running into the same problem you ran into so I started looking around my craftroom and I do have a few colors of polymer clay but I was setting infront of my craft desk and my big cup of pens, pencils, paint brushes etc... an idea came over me. I grabbed a couple of bigger sized pens (the ones you can take apart) and was messing around with them and low and behold I found one that fit my size 7 /1.65mm needle.....WOW!!! So just fyi you can use those pens that have the soft squishy stuff at the front of the pen so your hands won't hurt so badly. Thank you for the great idea and I hope you too find a great pen too.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  21. When do you add the glass bead..push into clay before baking or glue on after. Thx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Edna. I have edited the instructions to include when you add the bead. :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message - it always puts a smile on my face. If you have a question - post it here and check back - I will always answer you. :)