Tuesday, August 23, 2011

~ granny's cabin square ~

Inspired by my friend Heather at 'The Good Life' who's crocheting a log cabin afghan, I crocheted this 'granny's cabin square'.


Materials:
- 4-ply worsted weight acrylic
- J hook

Directions:

Crochet a 3 round granny square - make sure you only chain 2 for the corners and only chain 1 in between the 3 dc clusters.

1st side: 
Row 1:  join light blue with a sc in corner space, sc in each sc and ch 1 space across, sc in corner space.  Ch 1, turn.

Rows 2 - 5:  sc in each sc across.  Ch 1, turn.  At end of Row 5, end off.

2nd side:
Row 1:  join mint green with a sc in side of 1st light blue sc.  Work 4 more sc along the side of the light blue.  Sc in corner space,  sc in each sc and ch 1 space across, sc in corner space.  Ch 1, turn.

Rows 2 - 5:  Repeat Rows 2 - 5 of 1st side.

3rd side:
Row 1:  join dark pink with a sc in side of 1st mint green sc.  Work 4 more sc along the side of the mint green.  Sc in corner space, sc in each sc and ch 1 space across, sc in corner space.  Ch 1, turn.

Rows 2 - 5:  Repeat Rows 2 - 5 of 1st side.

4th side:
Row 1:  join purple with a sc in side of 1st dark pink sc.  Work 4 more sc along the side of the dark pink.  Sc in corner space, sc in each sc and ch 1 space across, sc in corner space.  Work 5 along the side of the light blue.  Ch 1, turn.

Rows 2 - 5:  Repeat Rows 2 - 5 of 1st side.

***Debi Y's pattern***

Print Friendly and PDF

20 comments:

  1. Debi you are one clever lady :)) Love it :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure are inventive with these square, I tried the heart one the other day, it turned out so beautiful.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. I think it's a great start to a baby blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is SO pretty!
    I love seeing all the variations of granny squares.

    This is going to be such a pretty blankie.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that very much! Love the colors together too. I thought about trying the log cabin but haven't gotten past the thinking part yet. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! Another project that has too many quick color changes for me to want to do myself but that I eye lovingly because it's adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool square Debi! Thank you for the link. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this square will definitely be trying out this one. thanks heaps deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hola. Un cuadrado muy bonito.
    Un saludo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bedankt voor het delen van dit patroon. Ik heb een link geplaatst op mijn blog naar dit patroon op http://knutsel-dekentje.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could you please tell me what size square this pattern makes? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila. It was probably somewhere between 5 to 6" - sorry I don't remember exactly. :)

      Delete
  12. Your website is unique. Because you offer patterns (free), I am able to learn more about crocheting each week.
    Thank you.
    pal

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the pattern and can't wait to get the yarn to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok I am slow but did you do a row of single crochet around you granny square or is just a single crochet in all
    stitches and spaces for the sides ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the single crochets are only worked along 1 side at a time. I started with the light blue, then worked the grey, then the rose, and then the dark blue last. :)

      Delete
  15. Do you have a completed afghan to show how you put the blocks together ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, sorry - I didn't make an afghan - just this one square. You can slip stitch the squares together or use the flat braid joining to put the squares together. :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message - it always puts a smile on my face. If you have a question - post it here and check back - I will always answer you. :)