Friday, September 14, 2012

~ blooming violet square ~


I sat down and worked up this popcorn square today.  It is inspired by the popcorn square blanket that originated on dottie angel's blog - here is the post:

http://dottieangel.blogspot.com/2011/05/bit-of-lo-and-beholdness-in-shed.html

Everyone liked the blanket so Mille Makes figured out the pattern and posted it here:

http://millemakes.wordpress.com/2011/05/22/something-pretty-the-pattern/

Here's where I need your opinion - since my square is different, but obviously inspired by the dottie angel blanket square, do you think it is alright to post my popcorn square pattern?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

eta:  Thanks to all my blogging friends that left me their comments.  Since my square is different (on every round), I have decided to post my pattern.  I hope ya'll enjoy it.  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Materials:
- 4-ply worsted weight acrylic
   - yellow, light purple, medium purple and soft-white
- J hook
 
Size:  6" square
 
Notes:
- I crochet tight so you may need to adjust the size of your crochet hook
- beginning popcorn (beginning pc):  ch 3, 3 dc in same st, remove hook from loop, insert hook in top ch of beginning ch 3 and in last dc, yarn over, pull loop thru dc and ch.
- popcorn (pc): work 4 dc, remove hook from loop, insert hook in 1st dc and in last dc, yarn over, pull loop thru both dc's.
 
Directions:
Rnd 1:  With yellow ch 4, 2 dc in 4th ch from hook, ch 2.  *(3 dc, ch 2 in same ch) 3 more times.  Join with a sl st to top of beginning ch 4.  End off.
 
Rnd 2:  Join light purple with a sl st to any ch-2 corner space, (beginning pc, ch 2, pc) in same space, ch 2, skip next dc, pc in next dc, ch 2, skip next dc.  *(pc, ch 2, pc) in next ch-2 corner space, ch 2, skip next dc, pc in next dc, ch 2, skip next dc.  Repeat from * 2 more times.  Join with a sl st to top of 1st pc.  
 
Rnd 3:  Sl st into the pc ch-2 corner space, (beginning pc, ch 2, pc) in same space, ch 2, {pc in next ch-2 space, ch 2} 2 times.  *(pc, ch 2, pc) in next pc ch-2 corner space, ch 2, {pc in next ch-2 space, ch 2} 2 times.  Repeat from * 2 more times.  Join as before.  End off.
 
Rnd 4:  Join medium purple with a sl st to any pc ch-2 corner space, (beginning pc, ch 2, pc) in same space, ch 3, {pc in next ch-2 space, ch 3} 3 times.  *(pc, ch 2, pc) in next pc ch-2 space, ch 3, {pc in next ch-2 space, ch 3} 3 times.  Repeat from * 2 more times.  Join as before.  End off.
 
Rnd 5:  Join soft-white with a sl st to any pc ch-2 corner space, (ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in same corner space, {3 sc in next ch-3 space, ch 1} 3 times, 3 sc in next ch-3 space.  *(3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next pc ch-2 corner space, {3 sc in next ch-3 space, ch 1} 3 times, 3 sc in next ch-3 space.  Repeat from * 2 more times.  Join with a sl st to top of beginning ch 3.
 
Rnd 6:  Ch 1, sc in same st as joining, sc in each dc and ch-1 space around with (sc, ch 1, sc) in each ch-2 corner space.  Join with a sl st to 1st sc.  End off.
 
***Debi Y's version***   
Print Friendly and PDF

30 comments:

  1. I don't see why not. Yours is very different from theirs. It is also very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's ok Debi you have said where you got the inspiration from and your's is different anyway, go for it I say, I think it's lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its fine..Its very different and very pretty. Great colors. Your talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful inspiration with your personal touch and I find it very cute your granny, not bad post and share, ahead!

    I follow your blog now, is very good

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your square looks different so I'd say it is fine for you to post your bobble square. I love the colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Debi, I love what you did and yes, I think you should post it. It is different and very pretty. I would love to make this as well. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think so...If it has your twist to it...I say Yes! It's beautiful!!! Shari

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you can do it, even because you told us (and linked back!) where the inspiration comes from!!!
    Happy weekend, xxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too think that your square looks different, but I understand your worries - maybe you should ask MilleMakes if she thinks it's okay, but I guess it is, and you've even linked back to her pattern!

    Have a great week-end, Debi (glad to see the mojo's back *gg*)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Debi ,I love your variation on the pattern and think it will be fine to post,its beautiful,happy weekend,Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, here is what I have to say about it. Even if all you did was change one stitch, it changes the pattern, making it different, giving you rights to post it, or sell it, and since you most likely changed more than just one stitch, then I would say you could easily and safely post it, without any guilt what-so-ever, especially since you have given credit to the original patterns that have inspired you, in fact, that makes it ten times better and shows that you are confident enough in your skills that you are not afraid to share what has inspired you. Go for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your square is lovely! I am not an expert in copyrights but I think it would be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ask the original designer if they mind if you post your inspired version and that you will include a link to her original inspiration. I think if you include a link to hers it will be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the feedback ladies. I'll probably post the pattern either today or tomorrow. :)

    p.s. I left a comment at Mille Makes to see what she thinks about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You should definitely go for it. Of course mention the source of inspiration and think you are good to go. Will wait for your pattern, the square looks lovey and bobbled flower square is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I see no reason why you shouldn't post the pattern for your square and link back to Dottie Angel's site as the source for inspiration. Your square is obviously different and there shouldn't really be any copyright issues, but linking back would be the polite cover-your-arse thing to do :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd say it's ok to post your version of the pattern. Very pretty it is too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Mrs.Debi...I have the square too ...the original....yours is different in the center ,I don't see anything wrong to post it in your blog....:0).....this is your idea and your version.Just link the blog inspiring you and everything should be fine....I like the square like that too. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Of course you should post your pattern if you want to. A lot of motifs start out with similar stitches and yet on down the line there are differences. You know, there are thousands of patterns out there and who is to say that 2 people can't think up the same one over the years. I don't think anyone wants to do that intentionally anyways, it would be pure coincidence.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Debi for your version! I see it as the version of a very experienced and creative crocheter, so thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the pattern Debi. I can't wait to try it. This might be the one I use for my DIL's ghan.

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow I been away too long you have been busy girlfriend:) Love it

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't get this pattern to print out for me! What am I doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley. After you click on the 'print' icon button, a pop-up shows up on the screen - click on the 'print' button that is up at the top left of the pop-up. Pop-ups have to be enabled on your computer. :)

      Delete
  24. Can't wait to try this pattern. i haven't been crocheting long, about 3 years. Please someone email me at aseda1@hotmail.com with how many skeins of yarn for each color it would take to make a full sized afgan. I'll bet this would make a wonderful baby blanket using a smaller hook and a lighter weight yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. I'm sorry, but I really can't help you with that. I didn't weigh the yarn when I crocheted the square (I don't know why I did that), and I don't have the square anymore. The only thing I can suggest is to crochet one and weigh each color of yarn as you go. :)

      Delete
  25. Oh, I do love this, and these are my colors!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message - it always puts a smile on my face. If you have a question - post it here and check back - I will always answer you. :)