Wednesday, July 6, 2011

~ re-post for Heldasland ~



~~this re-post is for you Helda~~

I made my first crochet hook handle in 2002 - I needed more substance to hold in my hand - I was having a problem with having to stop crocheting and stretch out my fingers every once in a while. I thought of tape but I didn't think that that would feel comfortable or look very nice. My next thought was polymer clay. I had a small stash of it leftover from trying to make beads, so I tried it and it worked great.

This is how I create my crochet hook handles:

Step 1: knead the polymer clay to make it more pliable. (by the way, I use Sculpey and Fimo polymer clays)

Step 2: wrap the polymer clay around your crochet hook handle and shape it to your preference. I roll the handle on my dining room table to help smooth it out.

Step 3: bake in a toaster oven at 275* for 15 minutes per 1/4" thickness.

Once you get the gist of creating these handles, you can let your imagination go. My favorite style is swirling 2 or 3 colors together with a glass bead on top. I think they're pretty and they really help out my crocheting hand. :)

***Edited to add a couple of tips:

1. use only metal crochet hooks. I tried a plastic hook once and it drooped down.

2. lay the polymer clay hook on a soft bed of quilt batting.

3. fashion a little tent out of aluminum foil to cover the hook and quilt batting while baking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's the link to the post where there is more instructions:

http://hooksandyarns.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-crochet-hooks.html
Print Friendly and PDF

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing ive always wondered how they done that

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. I like my hooks with bamboo handles but I don't have all the sizes I need so this is a good idea to put handles on the hooks I already have. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS IS SO AMAZING!!!!! Thank you so very much for sharing! You have no idea how much money i have shelled out to find "comfortable" crochet hooks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies - and you're welcome - I'm always happy to share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great re-post idea! I think a lot of people find this particular post really useful. I haven't actually tried making the hook handles yet but I've bookmarked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what a terrific idea thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Debi! One of these days I have to try this. This are just awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is very generous of you Debi, thankyou so much..
    I would buy them, if you had them for sale :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Debi,

    i thank you so much for sharing this great instructions!

    Send you many, many Greetings
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are soooo beautiful Debi!! Fashion and Function - I love it!! You should have an Etsy store for these :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow what a fantastic idea I can't wait to try one. Thanks for sharing and reposting...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all your nice words ladies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow.Thank you Debi I feel quite honoured that you would post something for me.That is a wonderful tutorial.Im going to get some clay this weekend .I will post results as soon as I have made one.
    Once again.Thank you Debi

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're welcome Helda - I hope you enjoy creating your crochet hooks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for reposting. They are so pretty and functional.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing this! I have terrible carpal tunnel syndrome, but I love to crochet and do needle work. I think you may have saved my crafting life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Why do you have to use quilt batting and foil?! I didn't have any quilt batting so I just cooked it on a cookie sheet and didn't use foil...I hope I didn't ruin them :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quilt batting is so the handles won't get a flat spot on it where it lays on the cookie sheet and the foil is to protect it a little from the heat coil. :)

      Delete
  18. I have done my hooks like this and love them. Question: Do you ever use a glaze of some kind on the finished handle to make it shiny? If so what do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan. No I don't use glaze. I glazed the first couple of hooks I made, but then they would feel sticky in my hand after crocheting for a little while. All the hooks I made after that were not glazed. :)

      p.s. The glaze I used is in the same section as the polymer clays.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message - it always puts a smile on my face. If you have a question - post it here and check back - I will always answer you. :)